View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 07:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Mine is 3x10: 26/36/48, 11-36. It works fine, but honestly 30 gears seems like redundant overkill since several gears are practically duplicated. A 2x10 setup like 26/46, 11-36 would be a little simpler, lighter, and probably work just as well.
oooof, a 20t jump with chainring shifts would be a real pain in the keester. I know road bikes have had compacts 50/34 for years, and I used a touring bike with a 16t jump for years between the 24 and 40, but I really did find that 16t jump to be too much---or should I say, 10t traditional jumps are nice , simply from a real world practical side. One of my bikes now has a 13t jump and its not bad, but from my experience I have no real urge to go back to a 16t jump, let alone a 20t jump.

this is an interesting topic gauvins, simply because there have been a lot of changes with derailleur systems these last few years, and its good to try to look objectively at the 2x systems and think about how they would be for touring---AND as you bring up, how chains may be much longer lasting than earlier stuff.

I do find myself still thinking that if I am going to change to newer systems, what actual advantage will there be for touring? and of course bringing into the equation initial costs and replacement costs and how long things last compared to 8, 9, 10 stuff that most of us ride touring.

I try to be open to new stuff, and lets be realistic, tech stuff changes all the time, so its good to think about using newer setups like you are proposing.
I'm curious to see where this discussion goes.