View Single Post
Old 02-23-15, 06:35 PM
sloar

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
I am far from a professional, I've painted 2 custom hot rod with flames, and a jeep I restored, using a high dollar Sata sprayer. I've painted around 15 bikes. I use a $12 Harbor Freight sprayer, works awesome, with a disposable water filter and a regulator. I sandblast the frames, I turn the pressure down to about 80-90psi. Takes longer to blast the frame, but it only takes off the paint with no damage to the metal. Once I'm done I sand the whole frame with 100g paper. The metal will shine and any dents or scratches will remain dull. I take care of any flaws with body filler. Wipe the frame down with acetone, then another wipe down with a tack cloth. I use Dupli-color paint shop paint from Auto zone. Its a lacquer that is very user friendly, sets up super fast. $75 for a quart of primer, color and clear. You need lacquer thinner for cleaning the *** and acetone to lightly thin the primer paint and clear. 3 coats of primer, 15 minutes wait in-between coats. 30 minutes before wet sanding. 3 coats of color, same wait time as primer. you can wet sand the color unless its metallic. If you need to wet sand the metallic paint, do another coat before clear. Same process with the clear. the first coat of primer, color and clear should be a light mist, this acts as a good adhesive for the other coats you apply. Let cure for about a week before assembly. Its really not a hard process, I usually paint outside hanging from the swing set. I immediately bring it in the garage to set up. I've actually sprayed outside in 35-40 degree weather with no problems, but its not ideal. Like I said, I'm not a professional painter, but I've had nice results.