hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
That's a bastard bike list. I would avoid all of those.

These bikes were developmental stepping stones in the evolution of the modern carbon and aluminum bikes we know of today. Manufacturers learned from their mistakes producing these!

The vintage lugged carbon frames such as the 2300, epic, and allez are all glued together. The epoxy that's holding them together, is way past their estimated useful life. Becoming brittle and losing their bond, making tube separation very commonplace under more vigorous riding. The newest of those would turn 18 years old this year. I definitely would not decend a mountain road on one. Alan is another brand that produced similar carbon bikes, avoid those as well.

The same goes for techniums and vitus frames which are also glued together except with aluminum tubing instead of carbon. The instances of separation are lower, although still present, on these than the prior carbon bunch.
Yep. Plus, they look no different than lugged steel frames. I still see lots of those frames out and about but usually ridden by commuters and casual cyclists.