Old 10-10-19, 12:21 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Also, let’s not fool ourselves. Track cycling requires even more personal investment than the families offer in the gloomy picture of little league baseball that I paint above.

This sport has a relatively high barrier to entry compared to others on top of it not being popular. It’s a double whammy.

You know there is a problem when we have to explain what track cycling is to other competitive cyclists (BMX, road, CX, MTB). I’m sure most, if not all, of us has had to explain our sport to another cyclist who races in another genre. That’s bad.
Don't many tracks have a youth development program? Around here we have always had free track and bike use for 18 and under. We used to drive kids from the city up to the 'burbs, but now there is a velodrome downtown its easier access for everyone. Its fun seeing kids that may not make it to a "travel" team for another sport going off to track nationals representing us - even if it is a little depressing when that kid who has been training with us suddenly goes through puberty and I can't keep up with him/her any more, lol.