Old 10-14-19, 05:07 AM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
It it, of course, your bike and you're welcome to do with it what you want to -- but I'd stick with the original Bridgestone steel fork. I think that year was made with Ishiwata 019 tubing in the fork, which should give a nice flex to absorb bumps from the road. The '91 model should easily fit 28's, and possibly even a touch larger. I've heard rumors of 28's on truly wide rims fitting (where the tire ends up a true 31-32mm in width).

If you're convinced you want to try carbon, I've got an older Kestrel fork that might work for you. It was off of a 60cm Paramount, so we'd have to check the steerer tube length if your Bridgestone is indeed 62cm. I think my local bike co-op also has a Time or Look 1" threadless carbon fork with alloy steerer, too; I'd have to check the length.

If yours is 62cm, it's one I'd be interested in if you ever decide to move it along.
I was thinking of going the carbon fork route for a few reasons. I haven't ridden carbon. If I got a carbon fork I'd be able to run a threadless stem to clean the cockpit up. Also I've never switched to a carbon fork. At this point I've sought out projects that I haven't done before. Switching to a carbon fork is one I haven't done as of yet.

You are correct about 28mm tires fitting. They're tight but they fit. The brakes I have on there currently make it a tighter fit than the fork.

You are also correct about the Ishiwata tubing for the fork.

I got the Seam Apex because I was going to create a touring bike with new components but the frame was fighting me with the 27" to 700c conversion and the canti brakes. 10 speed Sram is the last (unless I'm mistaken) components where road and mountain shifters are compatible. I was going to get Apex front derailleur and shifters going with a mountain rear derailleur with a mountain cassette for easy loaded riding.