Old 04-13-20, 11:30 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by casek
Hello! As I’m sure you’ve gathered, I’m new to this whole thing. I’ve been reading around after a bout of frustration at the fact that biking is something I’ve wanted to do for years now only to find that it’s not the easiest thing to get started doing at my weight. That landed me here where my head is kind of spinning with all the new information.

As of right now, I’m 5’ 6” and around 400#. My goal is to use biking to help me lose weight as well as a recreational activity (especially with the social distancing!) I’ve read around a bit and been perusing Craigslist in an effort to find a good bike that will hold me for a decent price. I’m on a tight budget where $250 is pretty much the most I can spend. Initially, I was going to go for one of the more expensive Wal-Mart bikes, but my research deterred me from that.

Basically, I need help figuring out what bike to look for on a super tight budget (I know I’m not going to get anything new with my limit). I’d also appreciate any advice on sizing if possible, as there are no LBS’s open near me right now.
Cycling will not help much with losing weight, but it can be beneficial for your health to exercise 30 to 60 minutes a day, 4 or 5 days a week. But I can tell you from experience, losing weight is 90% diet, maybe 10% exercise. So watch what you eat for weight loss, ride for health and enjoyment.

I will be honest. There are zero new bikes you can find on your budget of $250 that will hold you at 400 lbs. I would suggest an old mountain bike or hybrid at a small to medium size frame, or about 16" to 17.5" frame. Something like an old 90s era Trek 800. 820, 830 or 850, or 720 to 750, Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Advantage (I had one of these. fantastic bike and still ran great when I gave it away a few years ago), or equivalent from any of a dozen bike brands (Giant, Kona, Raleigh, GT, Cannondale, etc..). IT MUST BE A SOLID FORK. NO SUSPENSION FORKS, AS THESE WILL NEED REPAIR OR REPLACING WHICH YOU CANNOT AFFORD. You may or may not need to upgrade the wheels, but at a minimum, 36 spokes, or even better if higher spoke count. If you buy something like this privately, you will probably need to change out worn parts like chain, freewheel, brakes, tires, etc) so keep that in mind. So if you can find such a bike from a seller in ready to ride condition, it is worth spending a bit more than something that is right out of someone's garage or shed, and needs some work.