Old 04-22-20, 02:30 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I’m deffinetly no expert and there’s a lot of knowledge here. But I can talk about my experience.

When started riding many years back I was 6’ 350lbs. I was concerned about bike choice and cost. Asking here raised my concerns about cost. But I went to the LBS and bought a very basic entry level bike a GIANT Bolder SE. It seemed comfy and sturdy but had a cheap non lockout suspension fork I was warned about. But I figured I can ride it till it wore out an replace with a better fork with a lock out when time comes.

Well in three years of riding and dieting I had lost 100lbs. And the bike was still functioning just fine.

un related to the bike I then got very injured (hit by car on my motorcycle) and was unable to return to cycling till this year (7 years later). But after a quick service I dragged that old mountain bike out with its cheap fork and am cycling as weather and pain levels permit since January.

Its not a great bike. It’s not pretty and it’s not glamours. I’m sure that forks screaming at me every ride. And I’m not doing massive mileage (never was). But I got out there relatively inexpensively, Turned some cranks, reached some goals, and most importantly had fun doing it.

I did buy a better bike over the years but the boulder se is still the bike that seems the most use. I still find it more comfy. And it just feels special to me for some reason. This year I intend to cycle as much as I can mostly for strength building and fun. And I know that old mountain bike though fun is probly due to be replaced or at the very least upgraded for any serious riding. But I suspect it will be in the garage first to the door for some time, just for puttering about around the neighborhood and with my daughter (she’s 3 and on a balance bike) for some time still.

Me at 350lbs

today I stand at 260lbs but shorter now thanks to injuries in said motorcycle accident.

My point is. Though what every one is saying is most deffinetly correct. The most important thing is to get out there. Even if the bikes not ideal. Find something your comfortable on and with financially and get out there and have some fun. You can always upgrade later as $$$ permits.