View Single Post
Old 12-08-20, 02:43 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Weight loss hasn't been top priority for me... instead I've been focused on getting stronger and faster in hilly terrain. My strategy has simply been to ride faster on hills, more often. For me, it's a happy coincidence that losing weight and climbing faster go hand-in-hand. Happily, I've lost 18 pounds since March (from ~196 to ~178) without any deliberate dietary change. If anything, I'm probably eating more than before - I enjoy eating well! - though my consumption of beer is probably down by several bottles/week.

My advice is this: whatever your goal is - and also whatever path you pursue for reaching that goal - you'll probably get best results by continuously measuring and recording inputs and outputs. What specifically should YOU measure? Choose what you like! Because (seemingly magically) whether you log your weight, count Calories, count Weight Watcher points, or count beers and snacks... logging any of these or any other related metrics will help you keep focused on your goal and committed to improvement.

In my case, I use Strava obsessively to track many aspects of performance. Leaderboards and personal records motivate me to push harder on segments... including specific hills. But yearly progression statistics are also very interesting to me. I get those from the excellent "Elevate" browser extension for Strava. So, it's convenient for me to tell you that so far this year I've averaged 4.35 rides/week, 22.55 miles/ride, 1386 feet of elevation gain per ride. I've only averaged 13.71mph, but I can tell from segment times that I'm certainly getting faster on hills.

Good luck!