View Single Post
Old 02-21-21, 04:14 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I regularly rode on the Trexlertown, Pennsylvania (now the Valley Preferred Cycling Center) when it was first built in the mid-1970s. Before it has the grandstands and other additions, you could ride on off hours on road bikes during the recreational riding hours. We used to ride on our normal road bikes and a friend had an entry-level Panasonic Track bike with a flip hub that has a single speed freewheel on one side and a fixed cog on the other. It was a real blast. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but once you did it, you really could have fun slingshoting on the banking. I learned two things: 1. tires wore quicker if you rode slow as one side of the tread would wear faster, and 2. MAKE SURE your tubulars were properly glued. I had one roll off on a quick sprint. Fortunately I was clipped in with cleats and straps and only got a rash on my calf. Lesson learned.

Later I signed up for an intro to track racing course. it was interesting. You really learned bike handling that transferred to road riding as you learned to read other riders. I really like the match sprints since I was larger and heavier and could really use the banking for bursts of acceleration, and learned to do a stand that was useful for traffic lights when I did bike commuting for a while a few years later. Lots of fun! I am not sure I could do it today.

We went to watch the races ever Friday night. One that was real interesting were the tandem sprints and madisons, and when they did motorpacing where the bicycles had reversed forks. Seeing a tandem track stand and slingshot was very exciting.
Likes For Bill in VA: