Old 10-09-16, 07:08 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I crashed today, and learned some lessons

So I was coming down Vail Pass and it is a really twisty section, and basically hot a corner too hot. So I touched my brake to scrub a little speed but was still leaned over...I did not straighten up. Unfortunately, the rear brake was pressed a bit hard ( I really need to switch to Brit style) and I heard the tire slide just a bit. No big deal, I thought. I slide corners on the MTB sometimes. Yeah, not the same. At that second, the sidewall blew out, I went down super fast, bounced on the asphalt, slid a few feet, and thankfully went into the dirt right after so my skin loss was not high.

Anyway, there was some bleeding and road rash but all seems good- nothing broken on bike. I tried to change tubes but the tire hole was huge and so I put all I had- an empty gel pack between the tire and tube. The hole was bigger than my thumb and tearing apart it seemed, so I only put in maybe 30-40 PSI since higher was causing the gel pack to bulge out.

I then limped to the next town over maybe 14 miles away and kept my weight mostly on the front. I had a 5-6 mile climb and decided to not try it on that tire, so I managed to find the free bus line and it took me home.

I learned two lessons- don't hit relatively unknown corners so hot, and don't brake at all while leaned over. I believe the sidewall abrasion caused the blowout. I was using tubes with Conti GP4000S tires. Tires are relatively new. I don't have my proper iPhone charging cable today and am out of town. I'll try to upload pictures tomorrow, unless I figure out how to do it to Photobucket via my phone and then post the image link.