Old 10-09-16, 08:19 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Yeah, I was probably a little too leaned over at the time. This happened around 25 miles into the ride. It is possible the tire was defective but I think it was because I slid a little and it abraded the sidewall enough to cause the blowout. It was likely what we call "user error" and I agree about modulation. I do still sometimes get confused by the right-rear and left-front thing. I grew up the reverse way so that stick in my head. It is hard to be 100% sure about the exact cause except I went in hot and hit the rear brake to hard. The brake was a bit skewed but I feel that was caused by the crash and not the cause. I'll post a picture or two soon.
I seriously doubt it's possible to abrade through a sidewall and blow out a tire by over braking in a single corner.

I had a blowout in the mountains (ironically, a front range trip) and it turned out to be the brakes rubbing.

turns out a mountain descent may be what it takes to get a sidewall good and hot so it will blow.

otherwise, the brake just tends to rub a little without blowing out the tire. at least that's what the shop told me later that week, ie that my brake may have been rubbing for a while, but the descent overheated the sidewall and boom.

post up pics of the tire.