Old 09-10-19, 05:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hi everyone. I started a cycling club here to help build up a community of cyclist to get fit with like-minded individuals.
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Out of curiosity, why do you want to do your own club? Ie. why not just join the existing huge NYCC club, and just post your own weekly ride that you lead?

In that way you get all of their infrastructure and insurance, etc.
Originally Posted by Machka
Right ... I would NEVER want to start my own club. I don't have that much nerve or money.

It can be nerve wracking just organising and supporting rides. I've got 9 or 10 of them to organise on the schedule over the coming year.
FWIW, I previously described
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… For a few years I have participated in various informal Annual Fifty-Plus Forum “Fun” Rides held around the country. These Rides are almost always held in conjunction with an organized Ride sponsored by a formal, structured bicycle club or other such group, with a insurance indemnification, and requiring a waiver to participate…. .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The concept of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride began with the first in 2009 prompted by @DnvrFox and a gathering of 50+ cyclists in Colorado to ride various routes.

@tsl suggested Watkins Glen for a second one. IMO that boosted the idea for subsequent Rides. Watkins Glen was an organized weekend event held at a campground, so we were all together to socialize and ride supported routes.

Subsequently, a Fifty-Plus subscriber would start a thread, and various others would make their suggestions for geographically varied events. Usually one site emerged as the One. Many more subscribers expressed interest than eventually showed up.

Furthermore, we all stayed at different locations by our own arrangements, but tried to meet up socially before or after the Ride, all as described in Chronicles of the Annual 50+ Rides (link).
Obviously this was a periodic event, but was easy to organize and was a motivation to train.

Likely there are local organized club rides that an informal group of "like-minded indivduals" could glom onto by mutual agreement.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-10-19 at 05:38 AM.