Old 07-19-16, 07:16 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Not only was she riding an e-bike, but she was drafting her husband who was on an old fashioned non-motorized bike. We crossed paths a while later, and she said he's done for the day. She looked like she barely broke into a sweat. I was going to suggest they switch bikes for a while, but was already on my way by then.
So?

Not everyone's goals match. My fiancee probably would have enjoyed an ebike on our last tour, she couldn't have cared less that she made it from one country to another solely under her own power, and really couldn't have cared at all what you thought of her doing so. She was there to see windmills and tulips and enjoy being outside in the Northern European countryside, not brag about how she HTFU. Guess what? I really wouldn't have given two craps if she had one, and I didn't. We'd have been doing what you claim to be doing, and enjoying our tour, regardless of your opinion.

In any case, since I can't quote it, what happened to this insistence about not talking to people on e-bikes about bike touring?

"In a couple weeks I'm heading to Switzerland for a bike tour. The bike will be powered entirely by me. If I come across someone traveling on an e-bike, I probably won't have much to say to them about bike touring. Maybe other things, but not bike touring. Same thing if I come across someone traveling by motorcycle, car or train. Nothing against other modes of travel, unless you try to equate one with the other."

From Post #102 here: http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-ebikes-5.html