Old 07-20-16, 08:53 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
No, but if people who are cycling or who would be inclined to take up cycling turn to Ebikes and convince themselves that they're making the same gain because it's just 'assistance' then that, in my book, would be an adverse side effect.

Are motorists likely to give up the comfort and status appeal of the automobile for a battery powered bike? Apart from a very few eccentrics I personally doubt it. Much more lively they'll buy a proper motorbike .
Nobody ever said that, 19% is the average assistance I get, so that is a 81% workout... Instead of sitting on the couch.

In the wife's case it's 25% assistance and she gets an 75% workout instead if sitting on the couch...

The 30% assistance number I usually used was the manufacturer's numbers...

Now the American spec E-Bicycle is probably used like you say, but not the EU E-Bicycle because it just cant be used like that...

And yes some people would ride the bike with full assistance and get 90% assistance with them only getting 10% exercise... But he also wouldn't get far on a tour. Even the woman in Switzerland acknowledged she wasn't working as hard as her husband, but at least she was out there, and that's a good thing. Not an adverse effect at all... IMO

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-20-16 at 09:17 AM. Reason: clearity edit