Thread: Dahon mariner
View Single Post
Old 03-15-18, 06:47 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gdlerner
The bike from amazon got a chainring with only 44 teeth,dahon 52 and the other bike in UK I don t know if you can put a rack
Dahon 52 but what is on the rear, if its a freewheel lets say of 14-32 then 52 x 14 x 20" wheels is not going to be that impressive for speed. The Greenway bike will definitely be faster as it has a stronger cassette on the rear which has a 12T cog although I guess this will depend on tyre size. The Amazon bike has hub gears so the chainring size is less critical. You could swap it for 52T if you wanted to but that might make the gearing too high. I think the Nexus hub is something like equivalent to 11-34T derailleur system in itself. I've seen Nexus cranksets as low as 33T I think maybe for a 700c wheel bike so 44T seems ok for a 20" wheel bike.

Yes I'm not sure the Greenway looks easy to take a rack but I guess my point was not recommending those 2 bikes just stating that your money can go a lot further than some low end freewheel equipped bike. There are probably dozens of models you can choose from with your budget and you can definitely afford a hub geared or freehub equipped bike you don't need to settle for something with walmart grade components.