Old 12-30-18, 12:59 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
"*While ANT+ can transmit data 4x per second, and Bluetooth SMART 64x per second, current power meters aren’t running this fast. Why? It would be too hard on the battery. Most power meters record data closer to once per second. This way, the head unit can essentially enter sleep mode for very brief periods of time, thus prolonging battery life."
https://powermetercity.com/2016/02/1...h-power-meter/

I used to use cycleops speed/cadence bluetooth sensor on my bike to check my speed and cadence using my smartphone.
In my memory, bluetooth(smartphone) data refresh rate was faster than SRM PC7(records 2 per second).
Why don't track sprinters just use bluetooth system to record their data.
Or am I wrong with bluetooth data refresh rate?
Basically, if we have an app that records data 2 per second or more and able to download the data to view in Goldencheetah, that will be best bike computer for track cyclists.

BTW bluetooth sensor I used had trouble reading high cadence, but I could be because of the app.
It depends on the head unit that receives the data.

You can send 64 readings per second to the head unit, but if the head unit only aggregates the data into 1 second blocks and records that average, then that's all you get to see in the file when you download it.

So, it depends on the head unit more than the sensor.

For example, the Garmin 500 and SRM PowerControl 7 are both ANT+ head units. Using the same speed and cadence sensors, I can send data to both the Garmin and SRM head units. Garmin will record the average of data recorded every second, the SRM every 0.5 seconds.