Old 12-31-19, 11:23 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
Many thanks for the great ideas and support. Also, congrats to you all making progress on the weight issue. I've fought that demon for a long time.

Many of these ideas I've given some thought to, more or less. Zwift and a trainer are definitely in the future, I just don't know when - that cost versus wanting a new bike in the spring, ugh!. TheDudeIsHere thanks for the great pics. The one thing that I've yet to look at seriously is the night riding idea. My immediate neighborhood looks kinda like I think yours does - some street lights here and there, etc.

My normal day ride is through some moderate traffic, but then out on two lane country roads with not much traffic and no shoulder - rolling grades of 4-6% and some short ones up around 10% percent or so in places. The other thing in that area that would concern me would be critters, opossum, raccoon, skunk, etc. at night. But I could do 10 or 15 miles just going around my neighborhood several times. I'll look into the night riding more seriously. In fact, I've got some "be seen" blinkies already for the daytime - I may just take a slow ride around the neighborhood one night to see what it's like. Of course no serious riding without proper lights.
Seriously give it some thought, it's wonderful. I live in the foothills of the local mountain range so from my doorstep, it is a steady 4% grade for 3 miles with a 5,7, and 11% percent kicker at the top. I do loops to get 10 to 12 miles on weeknights.

I do climb up on a side street with plenty of 4 way stop sign intersections. I think that stops traffic from hitting top end speeds. Safer for me and drivers are always courteous when I obey the laws. I ride during the daylight and night hours.

This is the profile for my midweek rides. Low miles with a little climbing. I save longer rides for the weekends.

The image I posted earlier is the same road and spot of this daylight pic. This is a high speed descent for traffic. I am descending at about 30 mph at night with my lights. The pics don't show actually how much my lights light up the road or how much I can really see. But this is the downhill part. Though usual traffic is moderate, I rarely get passed by cars, even at night.

BUT!!!! I do scope out the local roads before I ride. On the way home from work, I will look for construction, debris, heavy leaves etc. Of course ascending at 10 mph, I don't worry much, easy to see obstacles. the descent, I always make sure I am familiar with the road and conditions.

But riding at night with lights is really cool. Don't dismiss the idea, it may be more fun than you expect. It took me by surprise. I actually look forward to suiting up to hit the road at night.