Old 06-28-20, 11:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you are logging your rides directly to Strava... don't. Besides being glitchy and no longer compatible with sensors, it's too easy to delete a log and have no backup.

However I just started paying for the premium version of Strava. The price seemed reasonable. I wanted the extra data. And I quit drinking beer so I had some spare change. A month of Strava cost what I paid for only one or two craft beers at the local microbrewery.

I've always used another app to record rides. I only use Strava to upload those completed rides or activities. The original log is on my phone and/or computer via Wahoo Fitness or Cyclemeter, using my phones; or on my bike computer and its app.

Of all the apps I've used to record activities, Wahoo Fitness has been the least troublesome. It's had a few problems, usually for a week or so after any update, but usually straightened out quickly. In almost five years I may have lost one or two logs on Wahoo Fitness. And it's free.

Cyclemeter was good but it's necessary to maintain an active paid subscription to get full access to our own older logs. That's annoying. I can understand needing to pay to continue accessing the full app features. But letting my subscription lapse also locked out my access to a year's logs. So I switched to Wahoo Fitness, which is free. (Cyclemeter may have changed its policy since that incident -- I think that was in 2017 or 2018, which I mostly used an older iPhone 4s). Good app, lots of customizable features.

My cheapie XOSS computer and app have been okay, usually identical to Wahoo Fitness on my phone. But there's no way to download ride logs from the computer to my PC. Some users have been able to use the USB charging port as a data port, but it's glitchy. So while I do use the computer to monitor my heart rate, speed, time, etc., I always use Wahoo Fitness on my phone as a backup. So if Strava goes away or changes its business model to something I dislike, I still have my logs for another format.