Old 06-29-20, 01:04 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Century Time?

So generally for normal folks a 5 hour century is considered an pretty good accomplishment regardless of age riding solo. It use to be a goal of mine and about 7-9 years ago I never did a 5 hour century but did some solo in 5:15. I do not stop clock. Back then I really think I could have came pretty close or done a solo 5 hour if I had really planned and rested. All of my centuries I have time have not really been planned too much like I was training for a race. I just picked a day and road hard as I could.

So fast forward now 8 years later and I am riding more than ever have about 200-300 miles a week, I am retired and basically I never do a century I just ride about 50 miles a ride. The reason is I can repeat it the next day and I don't worry about taking food or how much liquid to have. I one large bottle 27 oz gets me well even if hot.

Today I did 50 miles on a flat course basically good roads and no real wind factor. It was very warm and humid 74 degrees with high dew point but early am 5 am. I did 50 miles in 2:40 about 18.7 mph no rest no planning. I felt decent but certainly not powerful. I keep thinking how did I ever to the 5:15 it seems like I could not today get to that speed. If think if I rested and had food and proper nutrition for the ride maybe I could get close.

Bottom line is what do some of you about my age consider a fast century? I am going to be 59 in July and I am not at all complaining I actually think I did really decent for me but seems some old timers can drop 5 hour centuries pretty decently. Finally I have never tried one as a group as such but I believe if I had support it would be a whole different ballgame. What are the differences between solo century times and those with groups. Again I speaking to the 50 plus group here,
Likes For deacon mark: