View Single Post
Old 07-05-20, 12:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My wife got hyponatremia on one of our 10-day backpacks. The weather was cool and showery. We hiked maybe 6 hours. After we made camp, she was obviously not OK, pale, nauseous, confused. It was a bit terrifying. We talked and I finally figured it out: she'd been drinking to the timing pattern she used on long bike rides, except that it was cool and she wasn't sweating. I'd only drunk about 1 pt. all day and felt fine. I gave her 2 Endurolytes with a little water and she was fine in 1/2 hour. Drink to thirst..
That is why I specified eating or taking electrolytes. Of course if you flush yourself out you are at risk but the things I have read say if you eat or take electrolytes you should be fine. I never take that risk.
The day I was rationing water was an 85 mile loop with over 8500 feet of climbing, front loaded. I started with 2 large bottles but didn't want to stop and refill and lose the group, I know, dumb.Once into the mountains there was no water until the designated fill stop and by that time I was screwed. No way to catch up with hydration for me and so I suffered and struggled the rest of the day. I drink more than most, a lot more than many people I ride with. Yesterday I rode less than 4 hours, maybe 90 degrees tops, and lots of climbing. I drank about a gallon and when I got home I just kept drinking to try and re-hydrate. Still thirsty this morning.
Likes For big john: