WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Writing books was never a way for most people to make money. I'm aware of how 50 Shades started, and on top of that, Twilight is another series that was sold and read a ton before the movies arrived. "Short attention span readership"? Come on, people are reading books. Saying they're reading the "wrong" books doesn't carry much water, any more than the "young'ns are listening to the wrong music".

Things haven't changed as much as people think.
I beg to differ. With music, I find that I like pretty much any genre as long as the artist is actually an artist and not a commercial concubine. I can listen to bluegrass, hip hop, death metal, jazz, etc. as long as it's actually good. Books are similar. There are really quality writers in the young adult genre, but there are lots and lots of crappy ones. There are hack novelists just like there are hack musicians.

In the end, reading books is good, but I don't think it automatically qualifies someone as cultured the same way that someone who listens to a lot of music isn't cultured when said music is trash.