Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,494 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I've been making changes pretty slowly. When I got a fit my fitter said I was too far back and high, I've been slowly working my saddle forward and just went up a little before the ride over the weekend. Felt pretty good so I made a note of everything today. Felt a bit too much weight on my hands after the stem swap and realized my saddle was nose down a bunch, so just went up 1* and will re-evaluate.

This is the same issue I was dealing with which made me quit riding in college. I managed to get a sports med appointment last friday. Doc said it was chondromalacia/patellofemoral syndrome likely from poor knee tracking in the patellar groove. I need to do some more targeted PT. I've had more shims put under my right foot and am using an insole with way more arch support since my right foot arch collapses if you look at it funny.

Edit: Reading through my posts from back then I made changes like... on the daily when stuff didn't feel right. I was super frustrated back then but trying to be way more systematic about things in general right now. Have been keeping the fitter in the loop. Will likely go back for a 'check in' if possible after I finish PT.
FWIW, I have large flat feet and developed arthritis in my big toes. The fix, other than surgery, is orthotics that create a depression for the toe and stabilize the foot. My podiatrist was also a cyclist and made some fancy custom thin orthotics for my cycling shoes.

So what does that have to do with bike fit and knees?

When I did my Retuil and aero fit / testing with ERO, the fitter looked at my shoes and orthotics and said, well, a lot of my work is complete. Hence my knees track perfectly on the bike per the computer. The fitter said the most important part of bike fit starts with the feet that require precise adjustment. As one moves upward, dimensions become less precise because cyclists slide around on the saddle. However, knee tracking is about the foot and its position in the shoe.

And knee pain can be a function of tight IT bands and or weak abductors. Foam rolling and band walking may help. I suspect PT guys should be all over that issue.

Trying to help docs is like selling the Pope on the benefits of religion. You guys already know this stuff. Hope you knees feel better.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-21-20 at 12:02 PM.