Old 01-12-19, 11:04 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oj.
I was wondering if anyone on here commutes to work in the clothes they are going to wear for the rest of the day. I'm doing a design project that's trying to improve the experience for people who cycle in formal clothing and so was wanting a bit of feedback about peoples experience doing this, i.e. what sort of bike are you riding, what clothes do you wear (including foot wear), how far and any specialized kit you have on your bike. Information about the changing arrangement at your place of work would also be helpful. Basically anything to do with cycling in smart clothes would be very much appreciated. I'd also be interested to here from people who may have done this but found a better solution.

Thanks in advanced for any input given.
I commute in my work clothes I will wear that day except for shoes. I am able to keep my dress shoes in a drawer at work and wear a cheap formal looking mocassin type of shoe since I have flat pedals (MKS Lambda pedals with PowerGrips). I am a fairweather commuter now so I am usually not out in bad weather (at least going in to work). My commute is 5 miles. I don't sweat much since I go at a leisurely pace. I ride a Surly LHT with Jones Loop Bars and I carry what I need in a rear pannier (mostly lunch). My normal attire is dress slacks and a button up shirt and tie (which I button up at work) or a Polo shirt. I shower at home and will do a "bird bath" cleanup and baby wipes once I get in after cooling down for about 10 minutes.

I arrive 30 minutes earlier for work when I do commute. One reason is to give me enough time to cleanup and another is to allow for any unforeseen circumstances (flat tire, broken chain, forgotten item at home I have to double back for, etc.). My commute is mostly flat and easy going and I can lock my bike up in a break room (even though I still bring a lock). I work at a college and have access to showers and lockers but don't use them. I also have my own office but don't keep anything but dress shoes their.