View Single Post
Old 07-20-07, 06:04 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Beach vacation observations

My extended family has been down at the NC coast enjoying a week at the beach. We have 16 in two houses we've rented.

I've drank more alcohol the past week than in the last 6 months-my daughter just got her bartender's license and her dad is really enjoying it.
I've eaten more "less healthy" food in the last week than in the last 6 months-we've enjoyed huge breakfasts that include biscuits, gravy, eggs, breakfast meat, fruits, etc.
The roads are flatter than flat-I've ridden over 200 miles and probably have less than 500 ft of climbing.
I CAN outride a Dachsund.......little critter tried to run me down-at least he had all 4 legs.
There are many more folks on road bikes down here-we've been coming to the same beach for 20 years and I've never seen so many.
There are also a number of folks trying out road riding on mountain bikes........just like how I and many of us got started.
Sixteen golf courses have closed in this area over the last 18 mos or so due to real estate becoming more valuable than the golf course income or in many cases there are just too many courses for the amount of play.
The golf game is in pretty good shape-played 4 times with scores of 75-75-81-76.
We missed coming to the beach last year so my back and chest had not seen the sun in two years-the cycling tan looked pretty wretched on the beach.
You have to wait much longer for a table of 16 at a restaurant that you do for a table of 4-go figure.
Seven days goes by way to quickly......

So is this what retirement is like**********????