View Single Post
Old 07-21-07, 04:43 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- we used to rent at Duck on the beach... favorite seafood place was Billie's...

- but our 'blowout' was at Virginia Beach at a nice place in Sandbridge... lots of flat miles...

- but nothing compared to what i face now on the Gulf Coast: 6,000 miles of no hills, only headwinds...

- people think flatlanders have it easy; "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

:-)

p.s. i've been retired since '97 at the age of 41... life is *good*!
I think I've become somewhat semi-retired! A few years ago, when the company I worked for got bought out, I went freelance. It pays 3x as much but your actual billing time is a lot less. I've learned to simplify my life and discovered that I don't actively look for work. If it lands on my table, I'll take it, of course, and it usually means 2-4 weeks of major busyness. But then it may be followed by a couple months off. Or I'll work a weekend and then not have work for a week.

So, I basically swapped out my old "vacation time" with "work time"!

It's also cool I can work from anywhere, even the road, so I'm up in the cabin most of the summer, and I go down to Kansas in early winter, early spring. Plus, I can travel whenever I want, and if I have to work I just hole up in a hotel for a while.

What's hard is when you plan big projects, like painting your house, and suddenly you get booked for a month with your house half painted. But still better than the alternative.

I just had an opportunity show itself which would give me a lot more work/money and more prestige which translates into more money/less work, but it would really mess with this cool lifestyle. Don't know what to do. Hence my new slogan at the bottom of my posts.