Old 07-22-20, 07:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
This (including the parts I didn't quote) is a very interesting analysis. I have a sense that part of the popularity of Italian bikes is that, apart from Bianchis of a certain period, there just aren't low-end Italian bikes. I'm sure there are some, maybe more than I realize, but that's at least not the impression I have of them, and for the purposes of this discussion perception is everything.
Italy produced plenty of low end bikes. We didn't get many of them here except in the 1970s. My first ten-speed was an Atala Giro D'Italia. Gaspipe tubes, Simplex derailleurs, overall quality lower than a Peugeot UO-8 and lower price, too. There were some Chiorda bikes here that were even worse. Olmo and Bianchi are big companies that make full lines of bikes from low to high.

But there are a lot of Italian names that produce only high end, such as Pinarello. And there are reasons for that. One is the labor laws. It's hard to fire someone legally there or even lay someone off. So you have to hire carefully. This makes it hard to grow from a workshop to a big company. This led to proliferation of many very good workshops. They are the subject of admiration.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.