Old 09-11-10, 08:15 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
The problem you may run into shopping this time of year is getting the right fit. A shop may have the model you want but not in your size. They can't get the right one because the mfrs are gearing up for 2011 models. So, the store will really want to sell you what they have, whether it fits or nor. Be careful. bk
Unfortunately, my LBS is already into their 2nd wave of 2011 Felts The 2011 F75 is nice but I wanted to get a 2010 for the carbon seat stays.

Originally Posted by jcinnb
I feel your pain. I spent two months researching, then going to shops. Started at LBS, then tried one 10 miles away, moved out 25 miles, then moved 45 miles and went to my fifth shop at about 55 miles. My experience was not good. Either tried to sell what was there, but not what I wanted, "can't keep higher end bikes in stock, but we can order one for you," or just to busy to talk. I knew what I wanted, and had a good idea what I needed, just needed some expertise to finish off the process. Just could not find it. One shop clearly had the expertise, but $1,000 to $1,500 apparently did not meet the interest threshold of the literally world renown owner.

Ended up with more research, used this forum extensively, and bought on line. So far, so good. Good Luck...By the way, it was fun to open the front door and see the boxed bike, delivered on the day it was supposed to be. At least that worked as advertised. I would have preferred to by this bike with an LBS "partner" but no one wanted to do enough to take my money.
It might end up coming to that but too early to throw my hat in. I bought my SS from BD with no complaints whatsoever but that was $370, before I go spend $1000-1500, I want to ride the bike I am going to buy and know EXACTLY what I'm getting myself into. If the SS didnt work out, I could sleep knowing that I spent $370, rode it a handful of times, and turned around to sell it for $250.