Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I've been gradually working through an article on a sports science site:

Intervals, Thresholds, and Long Slow Distance: the Role of Intensity and Duration in Endurance Training

When I just read this part, I immediately thought of our track-star Hermes. I'm really surprised by the lower intensity training focus for even the short duration events.

Individual and team pursuit athletes in cycling compete over about 4 min. The event appeals to sport scientists because the performance situation is highly controlled and amenable to accurate modeling of the variables on both sides of the power balance equation. Schumacher and Mueller (2002) demonstrated the validity of this approach in predicting “gold medal standards” for physiological testing and power output in track cycling. However, less obvious from the title was the detailed description of the training program followed by the German cyclists monitored in the study, ultimately earning a gold medal in Sydney in world-record time. These athletes trained to maintain 670 W in the lead position and ~450 W when following using a training program dominated by continuous low to moderate intensity cycling on the roads (29-35,000 km.y-1). In the 200 d preceding the Olympics, the athletes performed “low-intensity, high-mileage” training at 50-60 % of VO2max on ~140 d. Stage races took up another ~40 d. Specific track cycling at near competition intensities was performed on less than 20 d between March and September. In the ~110 d preceding the Olympic final, high-intensity interval track training was performed on only 6 d.

Only 6 days of high-intensity training in the months preceding the Olympics!
Great article... Thanks.

Only in my dreams do I execute 670 watts off the front in team pursuit. In reality, my dreams are more like I am late to the race and miss the start time or something less exciting.