Old 08-30-18, 10:57 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by khutch
Actually according to DC Rainmaker:

"Overall, I’ve found that the PowerPod can be solidly accurate in most situations, assuming you are aware of the limitations – or aware of changes to configuration that could impact it. Further, it’s ability to seemingly ‘heal’ itself does act as a bit of a safety net should the aerodynamic profile change significantly enough to otherwise impact power readers. I’d sum it up as: If you do a clean calibration ride – things are impressively accurate across a wide range of riding environments and positions."

After looking at his data I agree with him. The biggest problem he noted was with cobblestones and there has been a software update to address that which seems to work well. And the unit does tend to overestimate power peaks so if you are really serious about training for whatever reason and need the best power meter technology available then the Powerpod is not it. The Powerpod is a classic disruptive technology, it is not as good as the others but it is cheaper and it is useful for many consumers. And it is improving. The worst thing I can say about it is that it should be sold for half its current price. But, I think that the reason that it is not is that they are still improving the software and they need to keep the price as high as it is for as long as they can to fund that. Eventually someone will make a Powerpod clone which will lower the price and perhaps the DFPM technology will decrease in price too, a decrease that is also long overdue. One thing to keep in mind if you are a Powerpod hater is that it does put price pressure on the technology that you love. You should be rooting for it to succeed and should be grateful for those of us who use it because that will force the DFPM companies to compete!

All things considered I think that it is a good fit for my needs and that makes it a good value. If it doesn't work for you (and DC Rainmaker says it does not meet his needs either even though he is fairly positive about it) then you just buy something else at a higher price. The two next cheapest options are pedal and crank arm meters. Both are one sided in their cheapest form, not a serious deficiency in my case. If I buy a pedal based meter then I have to use pedals that I do not like and I have to buy shoes that are compatible with them which adds to the cost. If I buy a crank arm meter then I have to buy a new crankset and possibly one that will screw up my gearing and which will add to the cost. In both cases while the cost differential between the other meters and Powerpod is relatively small the added costs to put them on my bike increase the differential substantially AND I will have to compromise on a bike setup that I like in order to use them. Not so great a deal for me!

Powerpod is great for a casual power meter user wannabe and that is exactly what I am.
On average its similar, but look at the differences in sprint power and the lag in intervals. If you all you want a PM for is to use as a fancy speedometer its probably good enough, but Strava's estimated power is probably good enough also. If you want a PM for training I don't think it would cut it, unless all you do is hold a specific position in an interval