Old 10-29-18, 05:59 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
A timely thread bump!

Couple weeks ago I did a wet gravel century that completely wore through my front and rear brake pads - with a twist - I hardly used my brakes at all. The front pads went from near new down to the backing plate in 55 miles just from mud and dirt getting thrown onto the rotor and rubbed off by the pads as it rotated through the caliper. I checked multiple times and had no true rubbing, just when it got muddy the rotor was taking all of it and just enough to brush the pads down. I rolled across the finish line with the lever to the bars and zero front brake.

Pads were resin Shimano G01S - they were the only true resin pads I had and since I rarely ride that bike in the wet I didn't notice. Never experienced such wear on what were relatively benign conditions, real eye opener.

For comparison I did a 70 mile event that was almost 100% mud and wet dirt - at the end all my contact points had been well exfoliated from the grit everywhere. The metallic pads did not wear enough for me to notice during the event.

So just wanted to share, especially obvious to me now that resin pads don't offer enough over semi or metallic to consider using.
similar to resin in cyclocross races, <20 miles with not a ton of extended braking but lots of grit and water many times results in wear down to the backing plates if you don't start with new pads. Happens to a lot of folks. Probably time to make the leap on the gravel bike too