Old 12-03-18, 04:38 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
In a sport where cheating is rampant, and folks regularly run lights on group rides (more or less dependent on region) a "race" where you have to stop at lights and obey traffic laws seems like a prescription for eventual conflict and disaster. Might as well take up one of those rogue fixie night races.
I'm not arguing about racing in general, or that ride in general (saw a guy hit an killed that ran it - I stopped, he ran the light and died). Just that "race" they obey the traffic laws. And it has been going on since 1976.

On the cheating. As I mentioned it is self-policed. Few who show up ride as a job, not that masters don't cheat, but the whole group kinda makes sure the win is legit.

I am not sure what causes this, but I have observed it for a long time when folks just like the sport.
I was official many years in adult soccer. The players would work our referee team. When it was just me - I made sure they knew they were saving money (on refs) and let me deal with the big stuff and they could take care of the little stuff I couldn't cover. Generally, they did just that with teammates policing teammates. They were not pros either, other than a few former ones, but playing was more important than winning.

Last edited by Doge; 12-03-18 at 04:51 PM.