View Single Post
Old 09-16-14, 04:44 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Olderfart
Roving70

Nice job! I'm interested in what 7 speed shifter you chose? Also, was it necessary to change the derailler? Wouldn't the original one have worked? Did the original chain need replacing? It looks to me that it would be narrow enuf. I'm getting set to order parts. I already replaced the freewheel with the TZ20, but it would be nice boost the top speed a little. I'm not ready to muck with the chain ring yet, like Atom. Baby steps.
Not sure you will be able to gain any speed with a derailleur swap- not sure that's what you meant though?

The pic I posted above is using the stock KMC chain, but I did remove a link and use a "Missing Link" in it's place to be able to easily remove and replace the chain. In it's current state, the chain is probably 2 or so links too short with the 52t chainring, but no one's complaining (everything still works fine). The same chain will work fine with 6,7, or 8 spds. Moving to a 9 spd cluster would mean changing out the chain because of the width of the spacing between cogs.

If you want to replace the rear derailleur, splitting the chain will make that job WAY easier.