View Single Post
Old 02-03-15, 08:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Dittoes to all the above; very inspiring. What got you started cycling, if I may ask? You both are certainly avid subscribers to Bike Forums (10,140) Are you co-authors or write as individuals?

FYA, I recently posted our somewhat short-lived cycling biography as a couple to the thread, "The art of dating" on the Living Car Free Forum:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I met my future wife when we were college students in the easily car-free college town of Ann Arbor, MI, well before I discovered as an adult the cycling lifestyle a couple years after we met. She soon followed suit, and we both bought similar high end bikes (Merciers, at that time). We began touring for occasional weekend to week-long tours in Michigan and Ontario. In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The honeymoon was a cross country bike trip from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. It was a great way to start married life, since every day we would have to find and set up a homestead for the night in a new environment where we only knew, and could depend on each other. I can remember two distinct times on that trip when either one of us hit low a point, and were bouyed up by the other; me in Kansas and she in Ohio…
We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula. We continued to tour until children came along [in 1988], and now our mutual togetherness activity is ballroom dancing.
Our next, most recent cycling together was last year in Toronto, on a quadricycle, our first ride together ever on a “bicycle built for two (four).”