View Single Post
Old 10-26-18, 05:48 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I think particular forms of racing are more "dude centric" largely because they're more dangerous, and men tend to be less risk adverse (read: dumb). There's obviously a lot more to it than that, but Sara knows the cost of hitting the boards. I'm not married to a woman, or know many who are inclined to recreate in a way that might lead to broken ribs. For that matter, lots of men are making that choice as well. Parents are putting their kids in soccer, not cycling. I have a had a long list of major race-related surgeries. I've given up events that put me near other people, and train almost exclusively indoors (metal is hard, and cars are made of metal). Racing is down in most disciplines (cross seems to be blowing up). Fondos are huge. I know plenty of women in Tri, and cycling clubs, and who do group rides.

The 33 was a separate forum before I became a mod. We then pulled all the racing forums away from the 41 to keep down some of the jets and sharks thing that arose at a particular time. Masters got the sub forum based on a request I brought to Tom. The 33 is hardly boisterous anymore (I'm not sure it ever deserved that reputation - it was mainly about people who showed asking questions they 'knew' the answers to, though their answers were wrong i.e. let me argue with a bunch of folks who have been racing forever about what average speed I need to hold to turn pro) there are maybe 5 posts a day. BF as a whole is dying. Most of this is related to changing internet habits. People frequent facebook groups and other social media platforms. Bulletin boards are an ancient thing.