Old 10-03-18, 08:50 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
You were riding against traffic, on the sidewalk. The driver was heading in the same direction as you, on this multi-lane highway, and made a left turn.

Bike riders need to be extremely careful when riding against traffic on a sidewalk. The driver was looking for oncoming cars, found a gap, and made his left turn without seeing you at all. They get tunnel vision. That's no excuse for the driver, just reality. He should have seen you, since you were ahead of him before he started the turn. But drivers don't even see motorcycles approaching on a two lane road, and they pull out right in front of the motorcycle.

It's tricky. You'd need to be checking behind you, way across the nearby lanes, for drivers that might turn suddenly. I guess slowing way down at all driveways and intersections is the safest method.

~~~

Similarly, when driving, I started pulling out of a parking lot driveway, concentrating on cars approaching from the left. I just didn't see the bike rider coming up fast from the right to cross in front of me. I almost started pulling out into his path. And I'm usually very careful, looking for bikes.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-03-18 at 09:03 PM.