Old 12-25-18, 10:30 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I started the Human Power Challenge races in Portland, Oregon in 1999 and they were held every year through 2015. Ultimately they were discontinued due to lack of interest and participants- our last year we required more people to run the event than we had participants.

I think you underestimate the challenges in organizing and operating an event of this sort and especially one of the magnitude of the WHPSC.
I think that most practical vehicles will have no trouble finding a highway with a sufficient legal speed limit. Runs could be done before dawn, when the wind is often still. All the instruments could be in a following vehicle providing headlights. Two could block both lanes for the critical bits. You don't need much more than useful markers, accurate clocks, and a camera to watch the vehicle pass the marks. There are also airports to consider. I, for one, would not care if the fine print in one manufacturer's ads said that due to space restrictions, the vehicle had been given a boost up to 80% of its final speed. I'd just estimate a small advantage for the fresher rider, but there's fairly wide variation in "motors" anyway.

It is ironic that for years, my only use for a car was to go to championships, and I eventually bought one to haul human powered boats. Then I used it to find my new abode, and I'm stuck needing one, even though the boats are gone. (they actually increased oil use, getting hauled around by customers) The meets may be justified by the social churn there, but there may be better ways to do that.

Last edited by TricycleTom; 12-25-18 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Timing method