View Single Post
Old 01-12-20, 09:56 AM
nidrig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
The 50 is the smallest size that Rose offers, so I suspect that is the reason that she rides it, as opposed to it being her choice...I did a quick google search, and based on the photos (very little seatpost exposed, and a short, -17 stem) , she could definitely go with a smaller frame. Rose does offer fantastic bikes at a great price, so I so understand why you are eyeing one!

Ultimately, it comes down to your flexibility/strength and desired position. If you are looking at closely replicated your current position, then you'll struggle with the 53 (and possibly on the 50, even). If you feel like you need to go longer/lower, then maybe the 53 could work. I will say, I am 175cm, prefer a very aggressive position, and a 380mm reach with a 100mm stem is all that I can handle. So, I do think that a 380 reach would be pushing it for you.

What is your current saddle height, stem length, reach of the handlebars, and amount of spacers under your stem?

Then, when you say that your current bike is slightly too big, what are you referring to...reach, stack, or both?

hi,

Thank you so much for your valuable input.

I'm the same height/inseam as the op, female as well, also lurking at the rose x-lite and struggling with the size.

After reading your posts, I did my research and found out that as far as my lower back is concerned, I'm much better on a smaller frame.

I rode a bike with a geometry similar to the rose size 53 for two years and it lead to debilitating lower back pain. Actually, you're spot on when you say that at some point we "fall into place".

The problem in my/our (op) case, is that the x-lite in size 53 has a stack too high. It means, that even with the stem slammed, it is not possible to achieve enough saddle to bar drop. Which means not enough pelvis tilt, a more backward position and more weight on the lower back. That is probably not an issue for younger people and/or recreational riders, but when we push hard, that leads to too much strain on the back. I believe men are less subjective to this problem, as they naturally have less lumbar curve and probably can handle an upright pelvis more easily. But for women, that could lead to problems.

To get more drop, we would need to use a stem with negative angle, exactly as the athlete mentioned earlier did. But the stem would need to be shorten as well, meaning in our case a 80mm stem maybe. Overall, with the relatively long reach, the position would be too stretch and I think you are right that trying to make the size 53 fit is almost impossible in our case.

The size 50, on the other side, fits perfectly for my case. But I shall put a foreword here, in case anyone find herself/himself in the same situation. With our respective height of 168 (5'6''), the rose xlite size 50 falls into the sporty/aggressive position category. And just like you with the size 53, it is all I can handle on size 50.

My conclusion, in case of the rose xlite, for female struggling in between sizes as we do, the geometry just doesn't fit. Either we go for a endurance position on the larger frame, or a very aggressive one on the smaller one. I think the op choice (canyon wmn ultimate) is the way to go.

Thanks for reading and your contribution!

Last edited by nidrig; 01-12-20 at 10:42 AM.