Old 01-12-20, 11:13 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Simply comparing reach and stack does not disclose actual seat to hood distance and drop. You need to compare top tube, stem length, seat post set back and bar reach as well. Just comparing reach and stack is meaningless.

Flame away if you must :-)
No flames, but you are incorrect. Reach and stack make it much easier to compare two frames, but there are a few tricks to making a proper comparison. With reach, there is no need for a TT length to be considered.

To properly compare these frames, the reach should be compared at the SAME stack height on both frames. The Rose has a shorter stack, so at the minimum the reach should be reduced by 3mm to account for adding an additional 10mm in spacer to match the stack of the other bike. That would make the reach 377, compared to 366, so it would require one size shorter stem, to fit the same.

The seat tube angle does come into play, but only to identify what change might be required to place the saddle in the same position, relative to the BB. The rose must have little more slack STA, so the saddle would be pushed forward by a small amount to get the same saddle nose to center of bars length. That might require a seat post with a different setback.

My other observation is the frame size selection has been made, mostly based on stack height and not reach. I'm the same height with slightly more inseam and a 73cm saddle height. I'd pick the smaller 50cm size. The issue is probably saddle to bar drop. If the saddle is placed too far forward, there will be too much weight on the hands and the wrong solution is usually raising the bars up higher to fix the problem.

The OP may want to consider an endurance frame to get more stack height.
Likes For DaveSSS: