View Single Post
Old 09-19-20, 06:58 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My subdivision had a neighborhood wide yard sale today, so Margaret and I did a little moseying around. And I came up with something worthwhile: A 1955 Royal Enfield 3-speed.

Since the fire last November I've gotten the garage rebuilt, redone the interior, assembled a functioning workshop, replaced 80% of my regular tools and about 50% of the bicycle specific ones. As well as bead blasting the collection of crank and freewheel tools that I managed to save from the rubble (plus some other stuff). Completing that side is just a matter of a few more months. What's killed my bike work is the loss of my parts department, limiting me to just maintenance work on the stable while I've been building up a stock of modern maintenance oriented parts. So I've been looking for something reasonably complete to work on and I think I've found it.

Other than a replaced (and wrong) front brake caliper & lever, later replacement handgrips, and the mounting tab on the front fender being snapped off, everything on this bike seems to be original and in decent condition. Asking price was $20.00, which I acquiesced to, quickly. The frame is one size smaller than comfortable for me, although that means Margaret would be able to ride it on the rare occasions she goes out with me on neighborhood rides. Or, I fix it up and take it to Westminster (assuming it happens next Feb) to trade it for something else in a like vintage 3-speed in my frame size. It's in storage in the bike barn for the moment and I'll probably start pulling a few bit and pieces off an refurbishing them starting next month.

Also, a celebration of my new garage door on my new garage, which will be the background for all future shots. It was ordered deliberately without an outside lock, just for this purpose.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 09-20-20 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For sykerocker: