Old 06-20-19, 08:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
I guess I did mean how long does it take to get you adapted to a saddle. I know the saddle itself doesn't really change, you get used to it.
Depends. For me, it doesn't matter. I find Brooks saddles comfortable out of the box. None of my Brooks (I have several) have even have the classic divot in them. That includes my touring bike (about 9000 miles and about 2000 miles) and my commuter bike which has 25,000 miles on it. My mountain bikes have plastic saddles on them because Brooks just doesn't work all that well for off-road. The feel is slightly different when I change from bike to bike but none of them have taken me any time to get used to.

Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
The nose does not dip much but I will check tomorrow to see if it is too far from level. The nose down position is taking more pressure off the perineal area and that's where the discomfort is. And as to hovering I'll keep that in mind as I ride tomorrow.

Thanks
You said that you have pushed the nose all the way down. Most seatposts* will allow for a downward tilt of the nose to around 20° to 25°. That's a lot of tilt. It's enough to push you onto your hands and, perhaps, make you readjust on the saddle constantly to compensate.

Another consideration is the clothes you are wearing. If you aren't wearing bicycle shorts, the seams in regular clothes bunches up around that area. Bicycle clothes aren't worn for fashion. They are for function. If you don't have padded shorts, consider getting some.

*Yea, I know I went through the whole "saddle thing" but that's what we call them....
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!