zerogravity
Trek DS 8.4 Rider!

Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Amberina
I’ve had my DS3 about a year now, and have about 5000 km on it. for a commuter and fitness bike it’s great. I had a city bike prior which completely not appropriate for living in North Queensland..I’m not in the outback, but you can see it from here, The DS has made much more confident and I’m riding the tracks that are around. The frame isn’t wide enough to put a proper mountain tire on, and the shock could be beefier as well.

I am 5 ft 1, 48 yrs old lady, the handle bar width is fine for me but a friend of mine finds them too narrow fit local riding conditions. On paper that fork should be more than enough for a rider like me, but off pavement it’s lacking.

The pedals are too small and were swapped out in a week.

The tires were changed within a month to the tubeless bontrager gravel. It’s frustrating as the frame isn’t quite wide enough for a proper mountain bike tire, I’m waiting for another set of maxxis ramblers 700x42 to give a bit more traction on dirt and sand a bd hopefully be better with the unrelenting thorns...

Now that I’m riding on dirt tracks, I really want a dropper post and fork..,

but as a commuter ... amazing ... and when I bought the thing I had no interest in the dirt tracks.

Beware! This bike makes explore!
I somewhat agree but I don't. I took my dual sport 8.4 everywhere at stock form. I did realize after riding both on the pavement and dirt I liked dirt more. So the MTB hardtale conversion started. The widest tires I had on the stock wheels were 29x2.2 front and 29.2.1 rears Kenda Slant 6's. With the trails here in Southern California, they worked fine. Also added a 750mm bar. Eventually I added a Rockshox Fork.
this was my set up after 6 months of riding in stock form.
It has since evolved to my Cross Country Race bike. With it's extra short wheelbase, it climbs very well! Pretty nimble too. Not quite as light as a carbon frame, but I'm ok with it.