View Single Post
Old 06-13-20, 09:29 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by montanasoftware
Hey guys ... I bought a REEB All-Mountain. One of the first ones ever made, custom built in 2012. Here are some of the details:

- True Temper OX platinum butted steel throughout. This is very similar to Reynolds 853.
- 72.5 Seat tube angle
- 68.75 HT angle
- 440mm chainstays
- White brothers Loop 120 fork with tapered steerer tube.
- FSA V-drive crank
- American Classics 29er wheelset.
- Gates Belt-drive single speed drive system (I'm going to replace this with an XT 1x11)
- Formula "The One" hydraulic disc brakes
- Jones H bar included
- Revelate frame and handlebar bags included.

Another cool thing about this geometry is that I can even use it for road touring if I install a rigid, suspension-compensated fork. And of course, it'll take 700c road tires.

The finish is bare steel with nothing but clear powder coat. So you can see all the welds and everything else, which is awesome -- especially when you're buying it used. Eventually, I'll strip it down, torch on some more braze-ons, then paint it with 2-part polyurethane or maybe powder again. I can do torching and paint myself, but not powder coating.

Overall ... I'm really happy with it. I see this as an "expedition" bike, with great bike-packing, single-track capability, and even pretty good road capability, depending on how I rig it. Eventually, I'd love to hook up the Gates belt drive to an internally-geared hub, like a rohloff, but that's insanely expensive. An XT 1x11 drivetrain will be good enough for now.

Here's an article, if you are interested: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tested...REEB-2013.html

The only problem now is that it's 800 miles away, and I won't have it for another week. I'm really glad I found a used bike ... so much more for the $$

Thanks again for everyone's input. It helped me to see the options and narrow down what I wanted. I'm still new to this forum, but I hope to return the help some day.
Congrats, my boy Jeff Lenosky is now the REEB spokesman, he's a Jersey boy like me and I've done some group rides with him. I almost bought the same frame a few years ago, watch out for the spider rust problems with the frame. They had to warranty a number of them since they aren't primed and rust inhibited. They won't come out with another clear model anytime soon. If it weren't for there Oskar Blues backing, they may have been closed down from that technical flaw. Check the frame real close afterwards, I'm not sure if the warranty is transferrable. Hope it works out, it's a beautiful frame.