View Single Post
Old 07-10-20, 07:40 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by trickytreat
Honestly I have no idea how many speed it is lol. I will probably install new cables later on. I even want to repaint it but at the same time I don't want take the original color of it. Maybe might as well just restore the same or color or just clean it. One more thing, the tire size is my problem too, would that 27inch tires fit on it? I've been looking around for bike shops around my place but there's none.
Originally Posted by HillRider
Count the chainrings on the crank and the number of cogs on the rear freewheel. Tell us what they are such as 2 x 5. In the past "10-speed" bikes had two chainrings and 5 cogs for 10 total speeds. Currently "10-speed" means 10 rear cogs and 1,2 or 3 chainrings so the nomenclature has changed.

As to wheel size, the sidewalls of your old tires should have the size on them such as 27x1-1/4" or 700x32. There may also be an ISO size shown and ISO 622 is 700c and ISO 630 is 27". Your rims may also have a size label.

If this Raleigh is really old, say prior to 1980, the threading may be proprietary which will make it a bit difficult to find replacement parts.
I expect its probably five or six cogs in the back and 27 inch tires, which you can find online at decent prices. You might also look under the bottom bracket shell and elsewhere on the frame for a serial number then see if you can find a Raleigh serial number database online. That will often tell you when the bike was made and other details about its construction and original components.