View Single Post
Old 10-07-20, 06:10 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
google tells me the white gas sold at stations was from amoco.

search for "amoco gas"

While most oil companies were switching to leaded gasolines en masse during the mid-to-late 1920s, American Oil chose to continue marketing its premium-grade "Amoco-Gas" (later Amoco Super-Premium) as a lead-free gasoline by using aromatics rather than tetraethyllead to increase octane levels, decades before the environmental movement of the early 1970s, led to more stringent auto-emission controls which ultimately mandated the universal phase out of leaded gasoline. The "Amoco" lead-free gasoline was sold at American's stations in the eastern and southern U.S. alongside American Regular gasoline, which was a leaded fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoco

we useta buy white gas for coleman lanterns and stoves for our camping trips in the 1970's
from a station outside of richmond, va. and come to think about it, i'm pretty sure it was an
amoco station (which according to google earf is now a wawa convenience store.)
My memory is a little hazy on this, but I definitely remember buying unleaded gasoline from one brand that was called white gas before unleaded was a regular thing. I think that yes it was Amoco and if I remember correctly it was only the high test. I am pretty sure we burned it in lanterns and stoves at some point in time, but I also remember buying Coleman fuel in gallon cans way back around the same time. I am not clear on the timetable but it was sometime over the late 50s, the 60s, and maybe the early 70s. I can't say for sure if we burned regular gasoline at some point or not very early in that period.