Old 07-03-19, 07:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Assuming a sedentary job. Sure, I get up for coffee, to see colleagues, go to meetings, or to walk something out on the site for 30min once in a while..........but I've got a sedentary job. We also watch some Netflix or whatever at night once the kids are in bed. Sure I mow grass, help cook and clean, and wrangle the kids and entertain them. I would assume the guy in our local A ride hammer group that has the hardest time is the guy who has a construction crew. On his feet all day often in non airconditioned unfinished houses. No idea how he manages.

Also, to claim ignorance........it wasn't my idea, I just tend to agree with the idea to a point:

"And for time-crunched cyclists, both the need for prolonged recuperation and the risk of overtraining are already reduced because your busy work and family schedules result in relatively low training volume and abundant time for recovery."

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/t...-for-cyclists/

The way I understood CTL to work, if somehow you managed over a longer period of time to get up to bigger volume ......it wouldn't kill you because you would have adapted to it over time. Lots of the triathlete folks over on Slowtwitch injure themselves (usually on the run training) by ramping up CTL too quickly. Basically they sit negative for TSB for months on the run (or combined all sports) then wonder why they hurt themselves, or they're exhausted and the gains stopped. They went from 3 hours a week to 10+ overnight.

For some reason, the "one timer" half marathon or marathoner doing it for fun or a fund raiser somehow can grasp the concept of ramping up training load better than competitive athletes sometimes. Even if not knowing what they're doing. They lookup a plan that ramps their load up over XX weeks before the event and peppers in a few shorter speedwork sessions.

I was even in here asking how to burn extra hours this week, lol, so some hypocrisy in action on my part. Just the excitement of having the time to ride.