Thread: Temptation
View Single Post
Old 04-02-21, 11:08 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
We may have discussed your bicycle before but I'd have to check my database to see if I have your serial number. Your Select is circa 1981 to 1984. I recall the main tubes on these were typically Tange Mangaloy 2001 (carbon-manganese alloy) as opposed to CrMo (chromium-molybdenum alloy). Still, it's relatively light and I'd expect the bicycle to weigh around 24-25 lbs . The Gardin might be 2-3 lbs lighter, depending on the components and tubeset. Given your riding, the Sakai sounds like a better choice. It looks like it has the nice jadestone finish, where the colour appears to vary from black to green, depending on the light conditions
You sir, are 100% correct on both counts, the sticker on main tube is Tange Mangaloy 2001 and it is the jadestone finish, which goes from black to green in the sunlight. There's also the gold trim around the lugs and interestingly, the freewheel was a gold colour as well, which is a bit odd to me. Naturally, it gets dirty from grease and grime and looks more like rust at a glance but a closer inspection, indicates the gold colouring.

thank you once again, I feel much happier with this bike now