Old 11-06-18, 11:13 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Not trying to rip on BLS, but the through-the-axle design of their straps is straight phoning it in. Mark my words, BLS straps are a fad. They simply look nice...and stretch. The fact that top riders still use them blows my mind.

It's awful. There are fixie pedal straps that are better at the job.

1/2 of the nylon is in front of the axle. Why is this bad? The whole purpose of pedal straps on SPD-SL / LOOK style pedals is to keep the spring-loaded clamp from opening up. That's about 5cm away from the axle. 6cm away from the webbing in front of the axle.

The best designs are like that which Hoy used. Matt Baranoski's dad (an engineer, BTW) made a similar device for Matt. Next would be to affix straps behind the axle that come over the foot above the clamp.

Any part of the strap that is in front of the axle simply works to keep your toes down. No one has a problem with their toes unclipping first
Hi Carleton, have you seen / tried the zip tie version of the BLS straps? https://www.blsglobal.net/int/produc...aps-cable-tie/
I think these are supposed to put the strap higher / further back on your foot than the axle version. Do you think this design is better?

Reason i ask is i am struggling to find decent strap options in the UK ( that aren't super expensive) and alot of people at the London velodrome are using the BLS so i don't have many other examples to compare to.

Thanks