Old 12-18-19, 08:22 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 866:

9F this morning with a -3F wind chill. At least the light wind was to my back so I got a little push.

Still riding the fat bike because they didn't plow the trails after the snow last weekend. It's not deep, but because it hasn't been cleared it's starting to get pretty icy where pedestrians and bikes have mashed down the snow. Took my time and rode carefully because I didn't want to have a repeat of last Friday's icy crash.

Speaking of icy crashes, and I was, I ran into a friend of mine on Monday night. He's a year-round bicycle commuter as well. He crashed on the ice last week and broke his collarbone. He was in a remote part of the trail and had to suck it up, get back on the bike and ride more than a mile to get to a point where he could get a ride to the hospital. He said it hurts but the worst part is he'll be off the bike for at least a month.

Got passed by two people this morning. I'm slow so I get passed frequently. One was another guy on a fat bike who said "good morning!" as he passed. The other was this clown that I see regularly all year. He (literally) never sits down on his saddle and rides as fast as he can. He doesn't ever announce his passing, passes other bikers and pedestrians close, won't slow down even if there is a whole bunch of people walking with pets and/or children, and generally is a reckless rider. He zoomed by fast enough to startle me, and I found myself secretly hoping he would crash on the ice. Then I felt bad about wishing that on another person and I had to repent.