JVG
Me ride bikes

Bikes: Trek checkpoint SL5 , AL5 , Ryenolds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainwalker
Thanks to all who provided helpful info. I'm not advocating a Bikes Direct or bike shop buy - I was only looking for information to make informed decisions. I appreciate the benefits of buying from a good shop as well as the benefits of being able to buy a bike at a great value used or direct mail order. One of our best local shop mechanics charges $100 for a complete build from the box (which I believe includes a follow up tune up), and they charge the same for all services whether you buy from them or bring in a bike. This is definitely related to the fact that we live in an area with nice weather and great road and mountain trails and biking is very popular, so there's plenty demand. They also charge $85 for a regular tune up. In addition, I have several friends who received Bikes Direct bikes without any issues. If you save on $400 buying a mail order bike from a reputable supplier with the same equipment and build as a big brand name bike from a local shop, spend $100 on assembly, that's still a good value. If you can buy that same level of bike on sale at your local shop and the price difference is only $200, it's a lot more appealing to buy from your local shop. Big brand names have a significant markup for the brand, which is supported by expensive advertising, sponsorships, etc.

I have assembled two bikes in the past, without any issues, but it's been a long while and I have to refresh my bike assembly/repair skills and get some tools.
if you have done them in the past I'm sure you could figure it out . The biggest thing to realize is if you or everyone continues to buy online direct there will not be any local bikes shops left to put them together for you .. if I owned a shop I probably wouldnt do it , or I would charge a minimum amount because it's kind of like going in and sitting down at a table in Applebees and eating out of your lunchbox.
ps. I just realized this is an old ass thread lol