Old 06-26-20, 05:35 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by sallii3
..... I think I will go down the road of acquiring an older bike (from what I see on CL vintage bike seems to be in abundance, although from the little research I have gathered priced a bit high, but these types might be for me a good starting point which I use the bike to learn a bit about bike parts and a possible beginner restoration project).
I commend your initiative and understand. I've done several bikes and enjoy the challenge and the outcomes. But: you may heard that the world got turned upside down and there's been a "bike boom" greater than we've seen in decades. Demand out paces supply. So all bikes, even those on CL are high priced and sellers have no reason the bargin. Another buyer will be by in a few minutes. Not a good time to get a nice deal on an old bike. Timing. So, good luck and beware of great deals and their undisclosed issues (like frozen bearings, bent frames, dead shifters and flat tires). Especially flat tires. A flat tire means you cannot test ride the bike and thus discover all the other hidden issues. "fully restored and ready to ride" could just mean 'brought out of the dark n damp, cobwebs brushed off and will generally roll down hill - one time'.

Amazing how many sellers will say "$350, just needs the tires pumped up. I couldn't find my pump. OH! A bad tube. No problem those are so easy. I didn't have time."